National Fire Protection Association
One Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169
Phone: 617-770-3000 ● www.nfpa.org
2016 North Carolina Remembering When™ Scholarship
September 13-14, 2016 Great Wolf Lodge Concord, NC
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is committed to helping communities reduce injuries and deaths related to fire and falls among older adults through the Remembering When Program. NFPA will select teams from up to 22 communities to attend the 2016 NC Remembering When Conference. Participants will receive training to reach older adults through group presentations and home visits. This conference is in partnership with State Farm Insurance, NC Baptist Aging Ministry, NC State Fireman’s Association, American Red Cross, and the NC Department of Insurance-OSFM.
Each Remembering When Award is valued at more than $500 and includes:
- A training workshop in Concord, NC from September 13-14, 2016, for each team.
- Lodging at the Great Wolf Lodge on September 13th, 2016.
- Breakfast, lunch, and snacks throughout the training.
- Ongoing support from NFPA for program implementation.
We are looking to train teams who are:
- excited to help older adults reduce injuries from fires and falls.
- committed to building a community outreach program.
- enthusiastic about strengthening partnerships to support older adult community members.
- Teams must have the authority, commitment, and ability to oversee local implementation of the Remembering When Program through group presentations, home visits, and training for additional program implementers.
Each team will consist of two people including:
- a life safety educator who is a member of the fire department.
- a home health visiting professional or volunteer from an agency serving older adults.
One team member agency must already have a home-visit mechanism in place. Consider agencies such as the visiting nurse associations, home health care agencies, church outreach groups, civic organizations, and meal delivery programs when seeking potential partners.
- Each team must submit the following materials with their application:
- Letter of commitment from the chief of the fire department supporting the participation of the fire department in this project.
- Letter of commitment from a leader in each partner agency supporting the participation of the applicant in this project and briefly outlining the agency’s role and ability to conduct presentations &/or home visits in the project.
- An essay explaining your team’s need and ability to make a strong, continued impact on older adult safety by using the Remembering When program.
Community Follow-up Obligations
- The following team requirements must be fulfilled in the year following conference attendance:
- A minimum of five group presentations for older adults using the Remembering When program.
- At least one train-the-trainer session for the partner agency home visitors.
- At least 25 home visits with Remembering When program materials integrated into each visit.
- Submission of a final report to NFPA by March 1, 2017.
How to Apply
Submit one copy of the application, essay, and letters of support from your fire chief and leader(s) of the partner agency, no later than the close of business on Wednesday, June 15, 2016. NFPA will notify award recipients on or before July 1, 2016.
Attendance at all training sessions is mandatory. All events and meals are funded for invited attendees only. Other incidentals including parking, additional meals, incidentals, mileage etc. will be the responsibility of attendees.
Email the entire application to:
Kelly Ransdell 919-717-0017
Questions? Call or email Kelly Ransdell