Blue Ridge Fire & Rescue, Inc.
2503 Old Spartanburg Hwy
East Flat Rock, NC 28726
CURRENT JOB VACANCIES
Position Title: Fire Chief
Hiring Salary: $57,000.00 – $68,000.00
Retirement Program: North Carolina State Employee Retirement System. This fire department is one of only a few non-profit fire departments within NC that can offer this to our employees.
Health Plan: 100% Insurance Premiums paid by the fire department for Medical for employee and 75 % for his/her family.
Chief’s Vehicle: The fire department will allow the new Fire Chief to purchase a new Chief’s vehicle after being hired.
New Hire Expenses: The fire department may provide reimbursement for reasonable relocation expenses.
Other Benefits: Paid Vacation Leave, Paid Holiday Leave, Paid Sick Leave, Longevity Pay, Tuition Assistance and More.
In the realm of emergency services, the Fire Chief and the personnel over which he/she has managerial control must be in a state of continual and constant readiness. Because any and all aspect of emergency service involves the saving of human lives and, to a lesser nature, property, it is fundamental to the position of Fire Chief that all duties and responsibilities are deemed essential at the very least.
Whether under direction of the Board of Directors or acting of his/her own volition, the Fire Chief performs responsible management, technical and administrative work in commanding and coordinating fire emergency operations, training of firefighters, fire prevention, general facility/equipment maintenance, public education and other related programs and services. The Fire Chief develops and implements program goals, sets objectives and oversees his/her lower ranking officers to insure they are completing their assigned task.
Education & Experience
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Ten (10) years of fire service experience and a minimum of five (5) years of that experience in a supervisory (Chief Office or Company Officer) role;
- Certified Firefighter;
- NIMS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700 & 800; and
- Certified Fire Officer Level I.
- Recommended & Preferred
- NC Emergency Medical Technician;
- S. Degree in fire science, public or business administration; or
- Bachelor’s Degree in fire science, public or business administration; and
- Certified NC Fire Officer Level II & III.
Disclaimer: Blue Ridge Fire & Rescue reserves the right to select the candidate it feels best fulfills the role of the Fire Chief. The Education and Experience listed above is just a guideline for hiring and does not represent mandatory qualifications.
Drug Test & Criminal Checks: Candidates shall pass a pre-employment drug screen and criminal history check per criteria set forth by this fire department.
Application Deadline – April 20, 2017 at 5 p.m. EST
How to Apply
Step 1: Submit in PDF format a cover letter, resume, current salary, and at least five (5) work related professional references with phone number and email address.
Note: Your resume should reflect years and months of employment (beginning/ending dates), as well as size of staff and budgets you have managed.
Step 2: Please submit an essay covering the following topics:
- What is the most significant contribution you have made to your past fire department(s)?
- How do you normally deal with conflicts when they arise?
- What are the three (3) most important lessons you have learned as a command level officer?
- Do you see yourself as an Administrative Fire Chief or an Operational Fire Chief? Which is your strongest side and why?
- Do you believe that combination fire departments can exist or are they a fire department transitioning from a volunteer to paid department?
Note: Please limit each response to 300 – 500 words.
Submit all packages to: Career@msfes.net
Equal Opportunity Employer
Blue Ridge Fire & Rescue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment due to race, color, sex, pregnancy, religion, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, military status, or protected veteran status. Our Fire Department complies with all applicable state, federal and local laws, regulations and ordinances prohibiting discrimination in places where our fire department operates.