Leland Fire/Rescue is accepting applications for the position of Fire/EMS Captain
Leland Volunteer Fire/Rescue Department, Inc. is a comprehensive “All-Hazards” emergency services department that offers fire suppression, technical rescue response, paramedic ems response, and public education. Due to the growth of our community Leland Fire/Rescue will be merging with The Town of Leland. These events have proven the need to hire additional Fire/EMS staff. These employees will receive competitive salaries and full benefits that The Town of Leland offers.
Number Open Positions: 6
Salary Range: $54,234.00 – $73,215.90
Applications Close: May 5, 2017
Distinguishing Characteristics of the position;
The Fire/EMS Captain functions as a supervisor of assigned teams and personnel when required, with primary responsibility to assure that personnel, apparatus, equipment and facilities are maintained in appropriate readiness to respond to a variety of life saving emergency calls. The Fire/EMS Captain is primarily responsible for the direction, management, supervision and coordination of the activities of his/her assigned teams; supervises and manages operations, training, general facility/equipment maintenance, prevention efforts, disaster preparedness, public education and related programs of his/her assigned staff; and serves as a command officer when required or deemed necessary on emergency incidents.
• Fire ground tactics and strategy; emergency incident management specifically the Incident Command System (ICS); principles of incident safety; automatic and mutual aid agreements; hazardous materials incident management; and confined space and technical rescue techniques;
• Fire science theory, principles and practices and their application to a wide variety of emergency service operations including fire suppression, fire prevention, and fire investigation; operational characteristics of fire
apparatus and equipment including emergency driving techniques, modern fire loss and fire prevention principles, methods and practices;
• Basic and advanced life support; pediatric advanced life support; pre-hospital trauma life support; special considerations for time sensitive emergencies, such as STEMI, trauma, and stroke; basic and advanced cardiac arrest care;
• Management of multi-casualty incidents
• Geography and street layout of the service districts and surrounding area;
• Laws and regulations pertaining to fire and emergency medical service operations;
• Personal protective equipment;
• Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases;
• Departmental policy and procedures and manual of operations;
• Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation;
• Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations;
• Algebraic and arithmetic computations;
• English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation;
• Principles and practices of customer service;
Education and Experience;
• Possession of a high school diploma or GED and five (5) years of firefighting experience;
• Possession of a valid NC Class B driver’s license;
• Certified NC Firefighter;
• Certified NC Fire Instructor
• Certified NC Fire Officer 1; (NC Fire Officer 2 preferred)
• Certified NC Emergency Vehicle Driver
• Certified NC D/O Pumps
• Certified NC D/O Aerials
• Certified NC TR General
• Certified NC TR Vehicle
• Credential NC Paramedic
• NIMS/ICS 100, 200, 300, 700, 800.
All applicants must be able to function independently as described in departmental job descriptions and be boarded (EMS) in Brunswick County in order to be retained for employment. Final salary for all positions will be determined by your qualifications.
Please email resumes to:
Deputy Chief Hayes; firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to:
Leland Volunteer Fire/Rescue Department, Inc.
Attention: Chief Hayes / Employment
PO Box 176
Leland NC 28451
Phase I of the hiring process will be conducted May 23, 2017
Phase II of the hiring process will be conducted June 6, 2017
(these dates are subject to change with no prior notice)
If you have any question you may also email or call Chief Hayes at;
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.